Client : McLaren Construction Ltd
Programme : 35 weeks
Value : £3.3m
A 1958 built late example of modern classicism. Situated on a cleared bomb site, southeast of St Paul’s Cathedral, this Grade II listed building which became the headquarters and printing works for the Financial Times, was the first to be built in England after the WW2 and the first to become listed.
All columns & beams within the central floors formed part of the listing, therefore works involved an extensive protection scope. The beams and columns were constructed from finished concrete & the wings, of a concrete encased steel frame.
BESPOKE WORKS & CHALLENGES
Extensive protection of the listed items, followed by phased and zonal isolation and decommissioning of all services & plant, before full soft strip and removal of roof & basement plant commenced.
Plant and services from the basement levels were moved to the ground level using car and passenger lifts.
Design and installation of temporary works within the Winston Churchill suite, the courtyards and for the demolition of the cores around the live services and welfare which were sequence driven involving a careful pre-strip for their installation.
Bespoke structural jacking scheme to remove two structural columns to demolish the north core.
Demolition of 2no. New cores throughout both wings of the building required a detailed temporary works scheme not only to enable demolition, but to incorporate the new frame and concrete.
No time loss / near miss incidents for the duration of the project.
Our effective management & coordination with the Project Team & all other trades was both commended and appreciated by our client.
4,500 tonnes of soft strip waste was removed using passenger lifts to the ground floor, the majority of which was loaded into waste compactors.