Client : Kier Eastern
Value : £450,000
Duration: 16 weeks
The enablement of a former industrial site for the development of a Police Interview Centre to be shared by the Norfolk and Suffolk Constabularies.
The site had previously been occupied by oil exploration company Brown & Root, and hydrocarbon hotspots and asbestos contamination had been identified in the environmental survey.
Scope of Works
- Before any work could commence we were required to re-house several brown lizards caught on the site, in order to retain its biodiversity.
- Working with a consultants design we built a new home for them constructed from drainage pipes, stones, old carpet, soil, moss and bark.
- More than five hundred cubic metres of land was excavated and decontaminated of hydrocarbons using bio remediation and lime stabilisation techniques.
- Two thousand cubic metres of soil was decontaminated of asbestos fragments.
- Ground water was pumped to a mobile treatment centre where pollutants were removed.
- During the course of the works over ten thousand cubic metres of concrete and hardcore was excavated and recycled.
- All concrete was crushed on site and processed into Type 1 for reuse within the new development.
- On completion of the works all soil tests and necessary paperwork were approved and the site deemed clean of all contaminates.
- The work was carried out within its 16 week time frame and within budget, enabling the next phase of construction to commence on time.