Client : Derwent London
Value : £2.8 M
Duration: 34 Weeks
Three properties within Berners Street, which were positioned north of Oxford St within the West End of London. The buildings had previously been occupied by PRS, the music copyright company and during their lifetime had been modified and extended, resulting in a challenging de-construction process.
Several Party Wall awards were needed to complete the works, together with Westminster County Council’s commitment to enable a number of road closures and highway reconfigurations.
Scope of Works
- Removal of existing asbestos and the demolition down to the top of the existing basement slab to 25 –27, 28 & 29 –33 Berners St.
- Installation of a complicated basement temporary works scheme and the erection of 5 steel towers totalling 150 tonnes, to retain both the stability of the existing perimeter retaining walls and the neighbouring properties.
- Removal of existing foundations across the site to a depth of 3m within poor ground conditions, which was further complicated by a high water table.
- Constant protection of a single live network sub-station during the course of the demolition, which used careful methods to avoid excessive vibration; with eventual re location of the station within Mews Street to the rear of the site.
- Due to the sensitive location of the project a ‘Real Time’ noise and vibration monitoring regime was installed, immediately relaying exceedance via text to the John F Hunt Management team.
- Throughout the project extensive discussions and liaison with the neighbouring business were held by our site management team, to ensure potential issues were dealt with in good time. This included visits to introduce ourselves, the issue of regular newsletters, monthly ‘surgery’ sessions and conducting brief presentations regarding our works.
- Reviewing of working times and locations were also considered due to nature of the neighbouring businesses, to minimise nuisance of works.
- Awarded ‘Performance Beyond Compliance’ from the Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Completion of the works with minimal disruption to neighbours and within programme.
- Highly commended by the client for delivering the project on time and within budget despite of the challenging programme and site constraints.
- Our strong relationship with the Westminster Council representatives proved very beneficial in assisting with both pedestrian and traffic management strategies.