Client : Grosvenor Estate
Value : £250,000
Existing Structure & Location:
No. 69 Grosvenor Street was a stucco-fronted house of four storeys with garrets and a basement area. Although the outward appearance was almost entirely of the nineteenth century, it was actually built under a sub-lease granted to the carpenter Benjamin Timbrell in 1723 by Thomas Barlow, who was both the estate surveyor and head lease holder of this stretch of Grosvenor Street.
Owned by Grosvenor Estates, it had been used as offices and upon redevelopment will accommodate new commercial offices.
Scope of Works
- With the front and rear of the building being listed, great care was taken during the soft strip, investigation works, asbestos and internal wall removal, prior to protecting these areas.
- The central 4 storey section of the building was demolished by hand down to basement level.
- In order to undertake demolition works temporary flying shore supports were required to retain the neighbouring property walls, one of which was the clients head office.
- Temporary works were required to retain an existing shared chimney stack and also a 4 storey spiral staircase.
- Due to the sensitive nature of the area and location with this project adjoining the Grosvenor Estates head office, rigorous noise and vibration monitoring was carried out for the duration of the project.
- Acoustic blankets were used on the scaffold to minimise the noise along with implementing a voluntary section 61.
- The bricks and slates removed from the building were retained and reused.
- Great co-ordination was required to remove materials from site due to the restricted access to the rear of the building and the limited times in which we could operate.
- Communication and co-ordination with the neighbours was paramount in order for this projects success.
- John F Hunt Demolition and its Environmental division have been an approved contractor for Grosvenor for many years.